The Skrillex haircut, also known as the side cut, undercut, or simply half shaved hairstyle, is a bold and edgy look that’s gained popularity in recent years. This eye-catching style involves shaving one side of the head while leaving the other side long or styled in a contrasting manner. It’s become a staple in the alternative and punk communities, with it’s roots tracing back to the early 2000s. The name "Skrillex" is often associated with this haircut due to the electronic dance music producer and DJ, Sonny Moore, who popularized the look. However, the origins of this hairstyle can be traced back even further, with variations seen in different cultures throughout history. From the fierce mohawks of the punk era to the shaved sides seen in ancient civilizations, the side cut has evolved over time to become a versatile and dynamic hairstyle that expresses individuality and rebellion. So, whether you're looking to make a bold statement or simply want to switch up your look, exploring the different types of side cuts can be an exciting adventure in self-expression.
What Is a Side Part Haircut Called?
The side part haircut, also known as the Gentlemans cut, is a timeless hairstyle that involves splitting the hair into two distinct regions. The major region, referred to as region A, is the top of the hair, while the minor region, region B, is one side of the hair. This haircut is versatile and can be tailored to suit various face shapes, including heart, round, diamond, square, and oval.
The side part is achieved by creating a deep parting on one side of the head, allowing the hair to naturally fall to either side. This creates a sleek and polished look that’s suitable for a professional setting or a special occasion. It gives off an air of sophistication and elegance, making it a popular choice among men of all ages.
One of the advantages of the side part haircut is it’s ability to enhance different face shapes. For individuals with a heart-shaped face, the side part adds balance and softens the prominent forehead. Those with round faces can benefit from the side parts angularity, which helps create the illusion of a slimmer face. Diamond-shaped faces can also benefit from the side part, as it helps to balance out the wideness of the cheekbones.
How to Style and Maintain a Side Part Haircut
A side part haircut is a classic and versatile hairstyle that can be styled in various ways. To style and maintain a side part haircut, follow these steps:
1. Start with clean, dry hair: Wash and condition your hair, then towel-dry it before styling. Make sure your hair is free from tangles and knots for easier styling.
2. Determine your part: Decide on the desired location of your side part. Generally, a side part is created by dividing the hair slightly off-center, either on the left or right side.
3. Comb your hair: Use a comb to create a neat parting line. For a more defined part, you can use the end of the comb or your finger to create a clean separation.
4. Apply styling products: Apply a styling product, such as pomade, wax, or gel, to add hold and control to your hair. Work the product through your hair, focusing on the sides and parting area.
5. Style your hair: Use a comb, brush, or your fingers to style your hair as desired. For a classic look, comb the hair to one side, following the natural direction of the part. For a more textured and modern look, you can tousle the hair with your fingers.
6. Set the style: If needed, use a blow dryer or a hair straightener to set the style in place. Finish with a light mist of hairspray to hold the hair in position throughout the day.
7. Maintain the haircut: Regularly trim the hair to maintain the length and shape of the side part haircut. This will help keep the style looking fresh and prevent split ends.
Remember, the side part haircut offers flexibility, allowing you to customize it to suit your personal style and preference. So, have fun experimenting with different styling techniques to find the look that suits you best!
Additionally, some people may call it a shaved temple or an asymmetrical haircut. Regardless of it’s name, this edgy hairstyle has gained popularity as a bold and unique way for women to express their individuality and personal style.
What Is the Side Shaved Haircut Called?
Even though it looks a bit different, this shaved hairstyle for women is also referred to as an undercut. However, it goes by a few other names, including a half shaved hairstyle or sidecut. The side shaved haircut has gained significant popularity in recent years, often seen as a bold and edgy choice for those who want to make a statement with their hair. It involves shaving a portion of one side of the head, usually starting from the temple area and extending towards the nape of the neck. This creates a distinct asymmetrical look and adds an element of surprise to any hairstyle.
It’s often associated with punk and alternative fashion, reflecting rebellion and individuality. However, it’s evolved beyond it’s subcultural roots and has become more mainstream in recent times, with celebrities and fashion icons embracing it as a trendy and fashion-forward choice.
It can be incorporated into various hairstyles, from short pixie cuts to long flowing locks. It adds an element of visual interest and allows for playful styling options. Some individuals choose to keep the shaved part of their hair exposed, while others prefer to let it grow longer and cover it with the rest of their hair, creating a hidden surprise that can be revealed when desired.
While the side shaved hairstyle may be associated with a certain level of boldness and rebellion, it isn’t limited to a specific gender or age group. It’s a unisex hairstyle that can be rocked by anyone willing to embrace it’s unique aesthetic.
It’s asymmetrical and edgy look adds an element of surprise to any hairstyle, making it a versatile option for individuals of all genders and ages. With it’s endless styling possibilities, it allows for personal creativity and self-expression, making it a stand-out choice for those looking to explore different hairstyles.
How to Style a Side Shaved Haircut
A side shaved haircut, also known as an undercut, is a trendy hairstyle where one side or both sides of the head are shaved short, while the hair on the top remains longer. This style offers versatility and can be customized to suit your personal preferences.
To style a side shaved haircut, you can try various techniques and ideas. Here are a few suggestions:
1. Add texture: Use a styling product like a texturizing spray or pomade to add texture and definition to your longer hair on top. This will create a stylish contrast between the shaved sides and the textured top.
2. Create a slicked-back look: Apply a gel or styling cream to the longer hair and comb it back for a sleek and polished appearance. This gives a sophisticated touch to the overall haircut.
3. Experiment with different lengths: Depending on your personal style, you can choose various lengths for the shaved sides. A short buzz cut, a faded undercut, or a patterned design are some options to consider.
4. Embrace asymmetry: If you want to make a bolder statement, you can opt for an asymmetrical side shaved haircut. Shave one side shorter than the other for a dramatic and edgy look.
Remember, styling a side shaved haircut is all about expressing your individuality and creativity. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different techniques, products, and lengths to find the perfect style that suits you!
Source: Undercut (hairstyle)
Originating from the music scene and popularized by celebrities, this edgy haircut adds a bold and unconventional touch to any look. Whether you choose to embrace the Skrillex name or opt for a different term, there’s no denying the impact and popularity of this distinct side cut. So, if you're ready to rock a daring and eye-catching hairstyle, consider exploring the different types of side cuts and find the one that suits your personality and aesthetic.