In the world of Old School RuneScape, if you're looking for a lucrative money-making method, tanning hides might just be the answer to your prayers. Tanning hides is a well-established and efficient way to generate income in the game, allowing you to turn raw animal hides into valuable tanned leather. This process offers a consistent and reliable source of profit, making it an attractive option for both new and experienced players. From cowhides to dragonhides, the tanning process remains the same, offering a straightforward approach to earning OSRS gold. So, if you're ready to dive into the world of hide-tanning and maximize your wealth, read on to discover the ins and outs of this profitable money-making method.
How Do You Tan Hides Traditionally?
Tanning hides traditionally is a skill that’s been practiced for centuries, allowing for the preservation and transformation of animal skins into durable leather. One popular method of tanning hides naturally is through a process known as brain tanning. This technique involves using the brains of the animal to soften and tan the hide, resulting in a supple and flexible material.
To begin the process, the first step is to carefully evaluate the hide and trim off any excess edges or unwanted portions. This ensures that you’ve a clean and even surface to work with. Next, the flesh of the hide needs to be removed. This can be done using a tool called a fleshing knife, which allows for the precise removal of excess tissue.
Once the flesh has been removed, the hide must be soaked in water or a bucking solution. This helps to loosen the fibers and prepare the hide for the tanning process. After soaking, the hide needs to be scraped to remove the grain and membrane. This can be done using a scraping tool or even a flat-edged knife.
After scraping, it’s important to wring out any excess moisture from the hide. This can be achieved by squeezing the hide and applying pressure to remove as much water as possible. Once the hide is properly wrung out, the next step is to apply a braining solution. This solution is typically made by mixing the brains of the animal with water.
After applying the braining solution, it’s important to wring the hide once again to ensure that the solution is evenly distributed. This process of braining and wringing is usually repeated several times, allowing the tanning agents to penetrate deep into the hide. The repetition helps to ensure that the tanning process is thorough and effective.
How to Properly Care for and Maintain Leather Goods Made From Traditionally Tanned Hides
- Keep leather goods away from direct sunlight and extreme heat.
- Avoid exposing leather goods to water or moisture.
- Regularly clean leather goods using a soft, dry cloth to remove dust and dirt.
- Apply a leather conditioner or cream to moisturize and protect the leather.
- Store leather goods in a cool, dry place and use a dust bag or cover to prevent scratches.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners on leather goods.
- Handle leather goods with clean hands to prevent oil and dirt transfer.
- Avoid excessive bending or creasing of leather goods to maintain their shape.
- Consider professional leather cleaning and maintenance for larger or delicate items.
- Inspect leather goods regularly for any signs of damage or wear and take necessary repair measures.
Once players have completed the easy, medium, and hard tiers of the Fremennik Diary in Old School RuneScape (OSRS), they gain access to a convenient spell called Tan Leather. This Lunar spell allows players to tan up to 5 hides in their inventory without incurring any additional costs typically associated with NPC tanning services. It provides a cost-effective and efficient method for players to process their hides.
What Is the Spell to Tan Hides in Osrs?
In Old School RuneScape (OSRS), players have the opportunity to engage in various money-making methods to boost their in-game wealth. One such method is utilizing the spell “Tan Leather,” a Lunar spell that allows players to tan hides without incurring any additional costs from NPCs who typically charge for this service. To unlock this spell, players must first complete the easy, medium, and hard tiers of the Fremennik Diary.
The Tan Leather spell enables players to tan up to five hides in their inventory with just a single cast. This feature is advantageous as it saves both time and money for players looking to maximize their profit margins. Prior to this spell becoming available, players would have to pay NPC tanners a fee for each hide they wanted to tan, which substantially ate into their profits.
To make the most of this money-making method, players will need to gather or acquire the hides they wish to tan. Common types of hides that players often tan include cowhide, dragonhide, and snake hide. These hides can be obtained through methods such as slaying cows or killing specific monsters. Once players have gathered enough hides, they can cast the Tan Leather spell and convert them into tanned leather, which can then be sold for a profit on the in-game market.
The completion of the Fremennik Diary is a prerequisite requirement for accessing this spell. The diary is a series of tasks and achievements that players must complete in the Fremennik Province, an area located in the northern section of the games map. The diary itself consists of easy, medium, hard, and elite tiers, with each tier offering it’s own rewards and benefits upon completion. By fulfilling all the requirements and completing the hard tier, players will gain access to the coveted Tan Leather spell, adding another profitable tool to their money-making arsenal.
Strategies for Efficiently Gathering Hides for Tanning in OSRS
- Complete the Animal Magnetism quest to unlock access to the ectofuntus, which provides free and fast hides for tanning.
- Train your Hunter skill to catch animals such as chinchompas or polar kebbits, which can be traded for hides.
- Participate in the Chambers of Xeric raid and claim the tithes reward, which includes various resources including hides.
- Kill dragons, such as green dragons or blue dragons, and collect their hides as drops.
- Utilize the Tan Leather spell or the NPC tanner in Al Kharid to convert your hides into tanned leather more efficiently.
- Join a hide trading community to buy or sell hides at competitive prices.
- Participate in Wilderness activities, such as killing green dragons, where hides can be obtained and sold for profit.
- Farm lizards in the Kharidian Desert and trade their hides for tanned ones.
- Complete the Lumbridge Diary for the daily free tanning perk, reducing the cost and increasing efficiency.
- Participate in the Slayer skill to receive tasks that may include monsters dropping hides.
Once you’ve gathered the required materials, head over to Al-Kharid to find Ellis, the fastest tanner in OSRS. Unlike other tanners, there are no specific requirements to utilize his services. To begin the tanning process, simply withdraw 27 blue dragonhides and the necessary amount of coins from the bank located south of the tanner. With everything in hand, make your way to Ellis’s building, located north of the area. Right-click on Ellis and select the option to trade with him to proceed.
What Is the Fastest Tanning Hide in Osrs?
Choose the “Tan All” option and watch as he quickly tans all the hides in your inventory. This method is extremely fast and efficient, allowing you to tan a large number of hides in a short amount of time. Tanning dragonhides can be a profitable money-making method in Old School RuneScape, as the tanned hides can be sold for a higher price than the raw hides. This means that by tanning the hides yourself, you can significantly increase your profit margins. Additionally, tanning hides is a relatively low-effort activity, requiring minimal attention and allowing you to multitask or complete other tasks in the game while tanning.
It’s important to note that while Ellis in Al-Kharid is the fastest tanner, there are other tanners available in the game as well. These tanners can be found in various locations, such as the Ranging Guild and the Crafting Guild. However, they may have different requirements or cost more to use. Therefore, if you’re specifically looking for the fastest tanning method, Ellis is your best bet.
The amount of money you can make from tanning hides will depend on the market prices of the tanned hides. It’s advisable to check the current prices before engaging in this money-making method, as they can fluctuate.
Overall, tanning hides in Old School RuneScape can be a profitable and efficient money-making method. By utilizing the services of Ellis in Al-Kharid, players can quickly tan a large number of hides, increasing their profit margins. This method is relatively low-effort and allows for multitasking, making it a popular choice among players looking to make some extra gold.
Different Types of Hides That Can Be Tanned and Their Respective Prices in the Market.
- Cowhide – $50 per square foot
- Sheepskin – $30 per square foot
- Goatskin – $40 per square foot
- Pigskin – $20 per square foot
- Deerskin – $60 per square foot
- Horseskin – $70 per square foot
- Kangaroo hide – $80 per square foot
- Ostrich hide – $100 per square foot
By taking advantage of the low cost of raw materials and the high demand for tanned hides, players can generate a steady stream of income while enjoying the game. Whether you choose to tan hides manually or utilize the assistance of portable crafters, there are plenty of opportunities to maximize your profits. With a bit of patience and strategic planning, tanning hides can become a reliable and profitable endeavor in the world of OSRS.